How to get a Working Holiday Migration to Australia

Procedure to get a Working Holiday Migration to Australia

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) allows young people aged 18 to 30 years to work and holiday in Australia for a maximum of 1 year.


The general requirements to apply for this visa are as follows:

  • Applicant must be at least 18 years old but not exceeding 31 years
  • Should not have any dependent child accompanying him/her during their intended stay in Australia
  • Must have a valid passport from an eligible country

There are two application modes: Online Application or Paper Application.

Working Holiday visa explained

As stated in the introduction, this is a visa targeting young people who would love to work and holiday in Australia for up to 1 year. It is issued on a temporary basis and is meant to facilitate cultural exchange as it fosters international relationships.

If your first-time applicant, you must be outside the country to make the application. This also applies to you when the visa is being decided.

During the second time application, you must be in the country at the time of visa grant. Again if you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when it is granted.

The Visa Allows You to:

  • Live in Australia for a maximum of 12 months
  • Be employed for up to 6 months by one employer
  • Study for a maximum of 4 months
  • Get in and outside Australia for as many times as you want within the active period

Important Factors to Consider

You are also required to be in possession of a valid passport as well as a travel document. For those intending to get a new passport, make that a priority and then apply for the visa. You can visit our country’s offices to get a passport.

It is also possible to update your passport details via ImmiAccount.

If you are currently in possession of a Visa that has “No further stay” condition, you are automatically disqualified.

You cannot contact our border officers if you are undecided on your visa conditions.

The charges for the visa are made under the guidelines of the Fees and charges. In addition, the applicant may pay additional fees like health examinations, police certificates as well as other necessary tests and certificates. It is the duty of the applicant to have all the arrangements in place.

Health Requirements

There are certain health requirements that you must satisfy to be eligible. The health examinations undertaken are dependent on personal circumstances. These include how long you intend to stay in the country, your origin country, your period of stay in another country for the past five years as well as the activities you will be engaged in Australia. The health test results are valid for up to 12 months. Those intending to obtain a second Working Holiday visa should take particular interest here.

Character Assessment

Apart from just the health requirements, you must prove that you are of the right character. Doing so will involve providing a police certificate from each of the countries you have resided in the past 12 months. However, make the arrangement for police certificate only after our country’s officers have asked you.

Applicant must have no outstanding debts to the Australian government. If you have such debt, ensure you have in place an arrangement of how to get it settled before the visa is granted.

What Countries are Eligible?

One is only eligible for the program if he/she holds a passport from a country enrolled in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. The following are the eligible countries:

Belgium               Canada                Republic of Cyprus

Denmark              Estonia                Finland

France                 Germany              Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)

Republic of Ireland       Italy            Japan                   Republic of Korea

Malta                                       Netherlands                            Norway

Sweden                         Taiwan                                    United Kingdom

In addition, you can only apply for a second Working Holiday visa when you have finished at least three months of your designated work in regional Australia. The completion is done while on your first Working Holiday visa.

Main Image Source : Pixabay

Also See : Be Careful About These Ants In Australia

10 Locations in 2020 for a Memorable Holiday

Stay Connected

Read On