Fried chicken is a delicious and beloved dish enjoyed by people all around the world. Achieving the perfect crispy fried chicken requires some know-how and attention to detail. In this ultimate guide to cooking crispy fried chicken, I’ll walk you through the steps to create a mouthwatering, crunchy, and flavorful fried chicken right in your own kitchen.
– 2-3 pounds of chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, wings, or breast)
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
– 2 large eggs
– Vegetable oil, for frying
1. **Prepare the Chicken:**
– Rinse the chicken pieces under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
– If using whole chicken pieces (such as breasts or thighs), you may want to cut them into smaller, more manageable pieces.
2. **Marinate the Chicken:**
– Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour buttermilk (or yogurt) over them, ensuring they are fully submerged.
– Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Marinating helps tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor.
3. **Prepare the Dredge and Seasonings:**
– In a large shallow dish, combine the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to ensure the seasonings are evenly distributed.
4. **Coat the Chicken:**
– Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
– In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
– Take one piece of chicken at a time, shaking off excess buttermilk, and dip it into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s fully coated.
– Transfer the chicken to the seasoned flour mixture and press the flour onto the chicken to create a thick coating. Ensure the chicken is fully coated and shake off any excess flour.
5. **Rest the Coated Chicken:**
– Place the coated chicken on a wire rack or baking sheet and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Allowing the coating to rest helps it adhere better to the chicken and results in a crispier texture.
6. **Heat the Oil:**
– In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, add enough vegetable oil to reach a depth of about 1.5 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350-375°F (175-190°C).
7. **Fry the Chicken:**
– Carefully place a few pieces of coated chicken into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the chicken in batches if necessary.
– Cook the chicken for about 5-7 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the pieces, until the crust is golden brown and the chicken is fully cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F or 74°C).
– Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the fried chicken from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
8. **Keep Warm and Serve:**
– If you’re frying multiple batches, you can keep the fried chicken warm in a 250°F (120°C) oven while you finish cooking the remaining batches.
– Serve your crispy fried chicken hot and enjoy!
**Tips for Crispy Perfection:**
– Make sure the oil is at the right temperature before frying. Too hot, and the chicken may burn before cooking through; too cold, and the chicken may turn greasy. Use a kitchen thermometer to gauge the temperature accurately.
– Let the coated chicken rest before frying to ensure the coating adheres well to the chicken.
– Use a wire rack or paper towels to drain excess oil from the fried chicken after cooking.
– Experiment with different seasonings and spice levels to suit your taste preferences.
– If you like your fried chicken extra crispy, you can double-dip the chicken in the egg and flour mixture for a thicker coating.
– For a healthier option, you can try oven-frying the chicken by placing the coated chicken on a baking sheet and baking at 400°F (200°C) for about 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Now that you have the ultimate guide to cooking crispy fried chicken, gather your ingredients, and get ready to create a mouthwatering fried chicken that will delight your family and friends! Enjoy!