Australia’s Heritage Site – Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is a true marvel. Besides being a natural wonder of the earth, it is larger than the Great Wall of China and the only living structure on earth visible from space!! Wow, how cool is that! A coral reef is made by tiny marine organisms called corals and their hard calcium carbonate exoskeletons. It is astounding to know that what appears like a group of phytoplankton is actually zooplankton. So, if a tour of Australia is around the corner for you, a visit to the Great Barrier Reef should be on your list of “things to do in a lifetime”. This structure has captured the hearts of not only visitors but biologists as well. Just have a look at this breathtaking view
This is how the Great Barrier Reef looks from the air
Its outer space view is equally astonishing.
The reef is in the Coral Sea on the northeastern coast of Australia. It stretches along the coastline of the state of Queensland for more than 2,300km.
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The tour of this magnificent reef can be both pleasurable as well educational. If you are a biologist, it should be a great opportunity for to you learn. If you want to enjoy yourself with your family and friends, there are many activities to enjoy such as snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins and many more.
Getting to the Great Barrier Reef is hardly an issue. It is well connected to the closest airport. However, you must pick a place as your base and stick to it. There are several towns and a number of island resorts located along the Queensland Coast to facilitate a tour.
Places to Visit
First thing first, travels to the outer edge of the roof. Start your trip from here.
It sets the mood right away. Green Island should be your next stop. You can enjoy your stay at a luxurious resort and relax!
Fitzroy Island – On the lovely beach here, beach walking is enjoyable. You can also enjoy snorkelling with turtles and bushwalking.
Atherton Tableland – An inland, if you have enough of sea
Frankland Islands – This island is bordered by corals, which makes it a must-visit.
If adventure enthusiast, there are a number of activities to be enjoyed there.
• Scuba diving – This is possibly the best way to enjoy an underwater tour. Go, dive underwater and come to face to face with one of the most diverse underwater ecosystems. Several species of fishes and rare planktons can be seen.
Take some underwater pictures as a memento.
• Snorkelling with turtles.
• Sailing and Cruising – You can book a sailing trip if want to witness from slightly afar especially with kids.
• Aerial tour – You can also enjoy the jaw-dropping aerial view of the reef by boarding on a helicopter.
• Steam Paddling and Underwater Scooter – Grab one to dive into underwater on your own.
• Reef Walking – The visitors are allowed to walk on the sandy tracks on the exposed area of the reef, a good way to witness the marine world.
Amazed by the beauty of one of the seven wonders of the world “ The Great Barrier Reef”. Let us know just how amazing you found it to be, would love to hear and share? Please let us know your lifetime experience here or comment below was it one to remember?
Main Image Source : Pixabay
Also See : My Personal Struggle With Fitness – Day 10