These days, people have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to window coverings. In order to find the best window covering for your purposes, it would be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the range of options available.
It is easy to get confused by all of the various covering types and styles. Here we will break them down by name so that they’re easier to understand.
Curtains have long been considered the most obvious choices for window coverings. People value them both for their appearance – which can range from simple to extremely elegant – and also for their ability to complement the other features of rooms.
Beyond this, some curtains have the ability to block out light completely, and others can be helpful in reducing outside noise.
Popular types of curtains include:
- Sheer curtains. These are curtains that can either exist by themselves, to let in limited amounts of light, or as an adjustable set with decorative curtains.
- Decorative curtains. Decorative curtains are made of a heavier fabric and often have decorations or designs on them.
- Blackout curtains. Blackout curtains completely block all light and are a popular option for bedrooms.
Curtains do have some drawbacks, including being difficult to clean and not allowing for easily adjustable levels of light to shine through. But if you’re looking for a classic interior – and particularly if you want window covering that will complement the rest of a room – curtains might be the right choice for you.
Plantation shutters can be a wise choice if you are looking to conserve energy. They have the ability to keep heat out during the day, thereby reducing the amount that you’ll have to spend on air conditioning.
Plantation shutters are also highly adjustable, allowing you to let in precisely the amount of light that you want during the day. And they can be slanted up for additional privacy.
Plantation shutters come in a variety of styles, including:
- Tier-on-tier shutters. These shutters are designed for windows that are divided into sections. Each tier covers an individual section of a window.
- Cafe-style shutters. These shutters cover only part of a given window, giving a room shade while still allowing ample light to come in from the upper portion of the window.
- Full-height shutters. As the name suggests, these shutters cover the complete range of a window.
Whether your priority be covering all or only part of a window, there is sure to be a suitable choice out there for you. Boutique Plantation Shutters in Perth can offer you a wide range of shutter options to suit different style preferences.
Blinds and Shades
Blinds and shades are related types of coverings, and the primary difference between them is that blinds are slated, whereas shades are solid fabric. If you want the option of completely blocking out light from your room, shades might be a preferable choice.
Less expensive than shutters, blinds and shades offer many of the same benefits, although they are not as energy-efficient as shutters are.
Popular types of blinds and shades include:
- Venetian blinds. These wood or aluminum blinds consist of distinct panels and come closest to shutters in their appearance as they are thicker and more solid looking than other blinds.
- Roller shades. Roller shades are shades that “roll up” and consist of one or two layers of fabric. They can let in more or less amounts of light depending on the thickness you choose. They do not allow for as great of a range of light control as venetian blinds do, though.
- Pleated shades. For a slightly more decorative appearance than roller shades, you might consider pleated shades. These shades also have the advantage of being adjustable simply by means of pulling them up and down, rather than using a cord that could become a nuisance.
Find the Best Option for Your Home
When it comes to window coverings, there is a whole spectrum of choices available. What you choose depends on your priorities with regard to style, cost, and ease of use.
Whatever your interest, there is sure to be an option out there that will fit your needs.