European Union – Examples of Waste from EU

Examples of Waste from EU – European Union is a well-funded and rich organization that supports its member countries and stakeholders in uplifting the welfare of its citizens. The members of this prestigious organization include countries in Europe, Germany and it neighboring nation.

How Many Waste Come From European Union

It is estimated that 16 tons of materials are being used to accommodate the goods and services needed by a person residing in Europe. Out of the 16 tons, 6 tons of it is being thrown away as waste. Imagine how many people are there in Europe (excluding other members of the Union) who becomes part of this waste disposal. As of today, the economy of Europe is running out of raw materials such as paper, metals, glass and wood which are found clogging in numerous water systems.

According to the Environmental Data Centre on Waste, only 40% of the total waste from Europe is recycled and the remaining 60% goes into landfills.

Examples of Waste From EU

Among the most common household waste from the EU are similar to most waste you found at home. These include but not limited to:

  • plastic bottles and containers
  • non-recyclable plastic bags
  • synthetic leather goods
  • plastic packaging
  • plastic cups and plates and disposable eating utensils
  • computer parts
  • smartphones and telephones
  • Styrofoam containers
  • Rubber/wheel

Aside from household products, there are also industrial product wastes that are collected each day from factories and manufacturing industries.

What Does The EU Do About It?

The EU has proposed numerous approaches on how to manage waste disposal among households in its member countries. It can be summarized through the following ‘waste hierarchy’ approach:

  • prevention or preparation for reusing
  • recycling
  • recovery
  • disposal without the use of energy recovery

The legislative move of EU

EU also encourages its member states to follow and practice the following:

  • Reduce the quantity of waste being generated from households and industries
  • Maximize the process of recycling and reusing of materials
  • Limit the incineration or use of energy in disposing of non-recyclable materials
  • Eliminate land-filling
  • Fully implement waste management policy in all parts of the member states of EU

What Can You Do About It?

There are many ways you can do to help minimize waste disposal in your household that can help our ecosystem and planet as a whole. Among these ways include the following:

  • simplify living
  • refrain from using non-recyclable materials
  • maximize the avenue for recycling
  • reuse items that can be used more than once
  • segregate wastes before disposing them
  • educate family and household members about proper waste disposal and recycling
  • refrain from being too dependent on consumerism

Proper waste management should start in every household where most wastes come from. Moreover, manufacturing industries should also be responsible in disposing their industrial waste. And lastly, the government and countries’ organizations should encourage their members to take action on this problem. The laws should be implemented firmly – no matter how rich or poor you are – you are responsible for taking care of this planet because it is the only one we got.

Also See:

Consumerism is killing the planet!

Throwaway Society – Unsustainable Global Problem

Main Image Source : Pixabay

Also See : Buying Property in the UK vs Australia

What will be the GDP of Australia in 2020

Noah Murphy

I have a great interest in travel, adventure and politics. I moved to Australia age 25 from England. From a young age I have always viewed the world as an opportunity. My travel and current affairs writing offers me a opportunity, my approach to life is a shared learning journey, were we meet many travelers along their life's journey, what matters to me is capturing the moments. I reflect, grow and share as much as possible on my journey towards self actualization.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *