Best 10 Weight Benches Exercises
1. Bench Press
- Lie flat on your back on the weight bench
- Now, lift the bar overhead
- Make sure your grip on the bar is a little more than the distance of your shoulders. This will ensure that when the bar is on the top your hands are in line and below the elbows.
- This formation will ensure that the ergonomics is perfect and the force is maximum on the bar.
- While you are pushing the bar up, make sure to breathe out.
- Concentrate on the ceiling and make sure that the trajectory of the upward path is straight.
- Make sure to choose the appropriate weights elsewise you may cause severe injuries.
- This exercise will help develop your shoulders, chest and biceps.
2. Single Arm Row
- Put your left knee on the bench such that knee to the heel make a straight line parallel to the bench
- Now, place your left hand on the bench but some distance ahead of the knee
- The position should be bend and your torso must be bend.
- Your face must be seeing the bench
- In the right hand hold a weight suitable to your exercise level
- The right leg should be firmly set on ground to provide requisite balance
- Now flex your elbow and pull the hand closer to yourself against the gravity and push it out to the bottom again.
- The elbow should be brought up until the elbow is parallel to the ground or the angle made by shoulder to elbow is parallel to the ground
- Make sure to keep your torso completely parallel to the bench to not cause any back injuries.
- Lie down on the weight bench with your back on the bench
- Both your feet must be firmly grounded. This will give you a very good grip.
- Now hold a dumbbell with both hands
- Keep your hands perpendicular to the body up in the air while ensuring that both the hands are holding the dumbbell properly.
- Now lower down your hands behind your head so as to take the hands until the level of the bench
- Stop at that position and repeat the exercise 10 times
- This exercise is very good for your core and in particular back.
- Make sure to not take too heavy weights elsewise you may end up causing an injury!
4. Shoulder Press
- Stand upright and hold dumbbells in both your hands such that the hands are near the shoulder with a bent elbow
- The elbow should make and angle of 90 degrees
- Make sure to note that the palms should face each other at all times of the exercise
- Raise the hands by straightening the elbows and hold the pose for 3 seconds once completely straightened
- Repeat the exercise 10 times
- Make sure to take appropriate weights
- This exercise is good for your shoulders
- Avoid any jerk by completing the exercise at a smooth pace
5. Reverse Flyes
- Lie on an inclined bench such that your stomach is resting on the bench
- The bench should be placed at an incline to the surface such that the feet must touch the ground when in inclined position.
- The legs should be stationary hinging on your toes
- Now hold dumbbells in both your hands and place them in the air perpendicular to the bench
- This will the starting position
- Now exhale while pulling your hands apart such that they reach parallel to the ground and a little further
- You must feel your shoulder blades clutching
- Now while inhaling get your hands back to the starting position
- All this while keep your elbows a little bent to not cause an injury.
6. Incline Front raises
- Lie down on the inclined bench so that the feet can touch the ground and your body makes a continuous angle to the ground
- Take two equal weights in each hand and hold them such that palms face towards the knees.
- Raise the weights so that your elbows are completely straight perpendicular to your body
- Always remember to exhale while pushing the hands out and inhale while lowering the hands back
- Try and keep the elbows straight at all times to not cause an injury
7. Skull Crusher
- Lie down on a horizontal bench such that your legs are firmly grounded.
- The entire heel should be grounded for balance
- Now hold a bar with appropriate weights on it, in the air perpendicular to the body such that it is in front of your eyes
- Hold the bar with both the hands for proper balance
- Now lower down the hands such that the weights end up behind your head
- Hold this pose and then slowly get the hands straight by flexing the elbow
- Make sure to keep your heels grounded at all times to not cause and injury.
- Exhale while extending the arms and inhale while getting to the start position.
8. Incline Bicep Curl
- Lean against an inclined bench such that your body is at 45 degrees to the ground.
- Hold two weights of equal weight in each hand such that palms face outwards.
- Raise both weights by bending the elbow until both weights are at level with the shoulders, gradually lower them back after few seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times.
- Avoid jerk movement of your upper body to lift the weights.
9. Bulgarian Split Squat
- Stand upright in front of a bench and then place one leg on to the bench behind you
- Now lower down the body until the knee of the rear leg (which is placed on the bench) is almost touching the ground
- Hold this pose for 3 seconds
- Now push back the body to the starting position
- Repeat the exercise 10 times
- Make sure that the knee doesn’t go ahead than the foot
- Make sure to keep the body straight throughout to reap maximum rewards
10. Reverse Crunch
- Lie on the bench with bent knees so that heels are touching the bench and hips make 90 degrees angle
- Place your hands behind your head and grab the bench by your fists.
- Now lift your knees to bring them towards your head so that your buttocks leave the contact from the bench
- Now, come back to the starting position and repeat the exercise 10 times
- Make sure to grab the bench strongly enough by fists to not topple.
Main Image Source: Pixabay