Packing problems are one of the biggest moving-day surprises. Begin packing as soon as you know your move date and label every box with its contents and room designation. If possible, rent a storage unit to accommodate items that can’t make a move or for those boxes not required for some time after the move. This will help reduce stress on a moving day. If you’re packing yourself, make sure to have enough supplies like boxes and tape.
Be creative with your solutions. Use suitcases, laundry baskets, backpacks and other containers that can be easily moved. Make sure there will be adequate room in each room of the new house and that doorways and stairwells will be able to accommodate the furniture. You can always hire reliable removals specialist to assist with the heavy lifting and transportation.
Causes of Moving-Day Surprises
The anticipation of starting a new life in your new home can be quickly overshadowed by unexpected problems that can occur during the move. Knowing what to expect and planning ahead is key to avoiding common moving-day surprises that can derail even the best-laid plans.
1. Poor Planning and Lack of Research
Before setting your move date, research the area where you are planning to move. Make sure to factor in weather conditions, local road closures and traffic patterns when calculating an estimated arrival time. Be sure to map out routes in advance as well as plan for alternate routes in case of unexpected delays.
2. Not Hiring Professional Movers or Packing Assistance
Most people choose to do their own packing and loading. However, if you are moving a large distance or with an excessive amount of items, it is beneficial to hire professional movers. Professional movers can provide the assistance needed for a safe and speedy move.
3. Underestimating the Time Required for Packing
It takes longer than most people expect to pack a house properly. Remember to include items that may be left behind, such as cleaning supplies and medicine. Plan ahead and leave yourself plenty of time to ensure all resources are moved safely.
4. Unforeseen Hurdles on Moving Day
Try to make arrangements for someone else to watch the kids or pets while you are moving, as this will help to reduce stress and free up more time. Also, be aware of any electrical cords, bulky furniture or other items that may present an obstacle while moving.
5. Not Effectively Estimating the Cost of Moving
Try to have a budget and keep track of your expenses along the way. This will help you stay on track and avoid any costly surprises. Most of all, make sure to include the cost of packing supplies and any additional services you may need.
Ways to Avoid Moving-Day Surprises
Moving can be an overwhelming process, but it doesn’t have to be. There are several things you can do to ensure a smooth transition and avoid moving-day surprises.
1. Research Potential Moving Companies: Do your research and be sure to verify the company’s insurance coverage.
2. Create a Realistic Budget and Stick to It: Have a budget and keep track of your expenses to avoid any unexpected costs.
3. Hire Professional Movers: Professional movers can provide the assistance needed for a safe and speedy move.
4. Pack Early and Appropriately: Start packing early and pack appropriately for the move. Make sure to have enough supplies like boxes and tape and be creative with your solutions.
5. Make Logistical Arrangements: Plan ahead for transporting large furniture items and make sure there will be room in each room of the new house. If possible, hire a moving company to assist with the heavy lifting and transportation.
Following these tips will help to reduce stress and ensure that your move is a success. Make sure to plan ahead and be aware of potential moving-day surprises to avoid any unexpected delays or costs.