John Legend: A Quick-Read Bio Revealed
Here’s the bio, life, career, awards, facts, trivia, and favorites of John Legend. We would like to take you through the chapters in the life and career of one of the world’s talented musicians. This is Australian Unwrapped’s compilation of research about John Legend. Enjoy the journey!
Full Name: John Roger Stephens
Born: December 28, 1978
Origin: Springfield, Ohio, U.S.
Genres: R&B – Soul – Pop
Instruments: Vocals – Piano
This post contains some affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
- A seamstress by trade, Legend was the eldest of 4 children. His father was a worker in a factory.
- While his father played the drums, his mother sang and directed the church choir, and his grandmother played the organ.
- At the age of four, he began playing the piano. He performed with his church choir at the age of seven.
- With an emphasis on African-American literature, he graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in English.
- 2004: He released his debut album, Get Lifted, under GOOD Music.
- 2006: Legend’s second album, Once Again, was released.
- 2008: Legend appeared in the video “Yes We Can”, produced by Will.i.am, for Barack Obama.
- 2009: Legend and the Roots recorded a collaborative album, Wake Up!
- 2013: He released his fourth studio album, Love in the Future, which soared to the fourth spot on the Billboard 200 chart.
- 2014: He collaborated with the rapper Common for the song “Glory” that was featured in the film Selma.
- 2021: Legend joined Republic Records after 17 years with Sony Music.
- 2022: John Legend introduced the music-based NFT platform ‘OurSong’.
Awards & Recognition
- He’s the first black man and second youngest person to have won all four of the major American entertainment awards: Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony (EGOT).
- He’s also the recipient of the NAACP’s President’s Award.
- Legend received the Hal David Starlight Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame (2007)
Fun Facts & Trivia
- John was the first African American to win four major awards: Tony, Oscars, Emmy and Grammy.
- He skipped two grades and started high school at 12!
- His nickname was “Doogie Howser” which came from a TV show about a teenager who became a doctor where John was young for his school class.
|Hobbies:||Playing Music, Traveling|
Australian Unwrapped’s Chosen Song from John Legend:
All of Me
What would I do without your smart mouth?
Drawin’ me in and you kickin’ me out
You’ve got my head spinnin’, no kiddin’
I can’t pin you down
What’s goin’ on in that beautiful mind?
I’m on your magical mystery ride
And I’m so dizzy, don’t know what hit me
But I’ll be alright
My head’s under water, but I’m breathing fine
You’re crazy and I’m out of my mind
‘Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I’ll give my all to you
You’re my end and my beginnin’
Even when I lose, I’m winnin’
More Songs to Listen to:
I hope you enjoyed knowing bits of the life of the music artist, John Legend!
We have lots to offer about him.
Click the link above for John Legend: Top 5 Songs to listen and relax or get on to the next artist whose life we are featuring next, Ariana Grande.
Share which segment you liked the most in the Comments section below so others can check it out!
Support John Legend: