Castlemilk (Scottish Gaelic: Caisteal Mheilc) is a Glasgow district in Scotland. It is located in south of the city Centre next to the Croft foot countryside. In the 1950s, the Glasgow Corporation constructed the region as a peripheral development plan to house 34,000 people from the interior inner city such as the Gorbals. Open areas, a clean atmosphere, and indoors toilets and facilities were given for the new inhabitants. Castle milk House, a grand ancient residence built around Cassilton Tower, which began in 1460 on the site of a 13th-century castle and was demolished in December 1969, was the focal point of the new construction. Gerry Cinnamon grew here without a father being raised by his mother that when his adolescence came into turn, life became more hectic for him, in his own words, due to the lack of a paternal figure.
King Stuarts As the owner of Castle Milk
Stuarts were the first king of United Kingdom. According to some historians, the Stuarts added their Dumfries shire estates of Castle milk from the Lords Maxwell in 1579, and the Lanarkshire estate of Cassiltoun was renamed Castlemilk after that date. According to some reports, this development occurred in 1759. The renaming of the town was confirmed in its acceptance as later sources prove. In putting up his Historical Survey of the Parish in 1796, the Reverend Adam Forman appeared at ease using the word Castlemilk to refer to the old estate of Cassiltoun. This new name would come to be the name that is used through out history and the one being used in present day as well.
During this time, the Stuart fortunes were bolstered by their ties to the parish of Strand and the property of Milton. Torrance Mansion (in present-day East Kilbride’s Calderglen Park) was erected in 1604 then sold to a Stuarts of Castlemilk through 1650. The Stuarts owned it until 1947, when it was purchased by the East Glasgow Development Corporation as its headquarters. During in the eighteenth century, the family acquired the rich property of Milton on Glasgow’s north side through marriage. During the interwar period, the concept of Houses and Estate was established. This concepts would revolutionize the Scottish property landscape.
Castlemilk, as a property, was purchased by Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) in 1936. The new housing concept was not planned until the 1940s. Originally, 6,250 dwellings were planned, but by 1941, it had grown to be the Corporation’s largest municipal housing development, covering an area of 2 and a half sq miles. The sketches and mockups were completed by 1944, the plan was approved in 1952, and construction began in 1953. At the time, the Corporation intended to build 8,300 residences for £16 million (about 402 million now). This housing development would prove paramount to the future of Castemilk as a property and place of livelihood.
More Gerry: Gerry Cinnamon Everything You Wanted to Know
Housing Scheme in Castle Milk
The housing scheme in Glasgow developed after the nineteenth century. The population had plummeted from 37,000 in 1971, to nearly half that figure in 1991. Despite the social-economic challenges linked with poverty, the region has reaped the advantages of a rehabilitation plan initiated in the 1980s that focused on good housing and the quality of economic artists. Community organizations and collective housing associations have worked hard to revitalize housing and provide facilities for local residents. There is a swimming pool, a sports center, a retail arcade, and community centers.