Do you think getting a million visits a year is an achievable target?
Do you think you can do that with FREE traffic?
Getting traffic. According to Allan Gardyne – CEO of AssociatePrograms.com; the answer to these two questions is YES. But it takes a lot of hard work and persistence from your part.
No matter what you have done in the past to increase your traffic, following these simple steps will help you generate more traffic to your website. Many website owners tend to get stuck in their comfort zone and rarely venture beyond their small number of favorite techniques.
I hope this article will encourage you to look beyond the techniques you’re using and try a few new ones.
A word of advice; go through the tips and techniques and choose the ones that best suit your website, your skills and your interests. Many of your competitors will be too lazy to do the work involved, so when you do it, your traffic will leap ahead of theirs.
Make your motto the same as Jerry Rice’s “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”
Getting Traffic – Technique (1): Choose a memorable domain name
- If you’re launching a new site, choose a name people will remember easily. Ask yourself: “Will people remember my domain name?”
- Try to choose a name which won’t be confused with similar names.
- This will help you choose a domain names: http://www.nameboy.com/
- You can find deleted (expired) domain names at: http://whois.net/
- Buy the wrong domain names, too. If your domain names could be confused with another domain names, buy it yourself and make it directed automatically to your main website.
- Make your domain name easy to read – especially if it’s a .NET (AustraliaUnwrapped.com is more memorable that australiaunwrapped.com)
Getting Traffic – Technique (2): You MUST have high quality, unique content
- Provide lots of information-rich, keyword-rich, useful content for the search engines and humans to find.
- People will only love your website when you help them solve their problems.
Getting Traffic – Technique (3): Keep ADDING fresh, relevant, useful content
- Search engines prefer fresh sites which keep gradually adding new content. Don’t let your site go stale.
- Super affiliate James Martell says: “My own rule of thumb is this: Add a minimum of 1 article per week, 2 preferably. Adding an article daily is euphoria and adding 1 every six hours, well, that’s the best.”
Getting Traffic – Technique (4): Use appropriate keywords in your image file names
- You don’t have to do anything special to get hundreds of visits a month from people who are searching for images.
- Take advantage of Google Images – http://images.google.com – when choosing the file name of an image on your site, use an appropriate key phrase.
Think of it as additional traffic you can get simply by choosing image file names carefully, it’s worth having.
Getting Traffic – Technique (5): Do serious keyword research
- If you want to get lots of traffic from search engines, put yourself on people’s shoes by finding out the exact phrases which people are typing into search engines.
- Be careful with the free tools available for this as their results can’t be trusted.
- Here is a site on the Internet reviewing keyword research tools:
Getting Traffic – Technique (6): Good titles are written for search engines AND humans
- Go to Google and type any phrase into the search box. Look at the titles of the websites in the top 10 rankings.
- Now look at the titles on your site. Start with your most important pages. Rewrite them to make them more eye-catching.
Getting Traffic – Technique (7): Organic SEO
- Search engines are getting cleverer all the time. You can try to outsmart them but to me it makes more sense to work WITH them.
Subscribe to Planet Ocean. These guys do nothing but search engine optimization. They’re experts. Get their newsletter at: http://www.searchenginehelp.com/signup
Getting Traffic – Technique (8): Submit to the main directories
- The more high quality links you have to your site, the more impressed the search engines will be.
- Start with major directories such as…
- …and move on to…
http://search.looksmart.com/ (probably too expensive)
- Here’s a good list of directories
- Be sure to read the submission rules carefully at each site. This will slow you down but it increases your chances of getting your site listed.
Getting Traffic – Technique (9): Submit to niche directories
- Search for smaller, specialist directories in your niche. For example, if your site is on a business topic, look for business-related directories.
- You can use http://www.associateprograms.com/searchit (free tool)
Getting Traffic – Technique (10): Distribute USEFUL articles to article directories
- Write articles and submit them to article directories. Make sure they’re USEFUL, interesting articles, not fluff. Other websites will pick up these articles and use them on their site (e.g. I’m using Allan’s free report among other material to produce this series of articles)
- Added a link to your site in the “About the author” box at the bottom of the article will get hundreds or thousands of links to your site.
- When writing the article, you need an eye-catching heading. You also need to give people a strong incentive to visit your site.
Distributing your articles
- Use http://www.associateprograms.com/article-announcer to speed up the process and receive a very helpful instruction manual (expensive)
I hope the first ten techniques in our series will give you an idea of what to do next and what to expect in the rest of the series.
Your feedback and participation is highly appreciated.
We wish you the best of luck with your venture.
Maximize your online potential:
Use of Google Adwords for Keyword research Top Travel Hashtags – Twitter Improve Your Social Media Presence Explaining Twitter Hashtags Function Top 5 Facebook fan page Management Tips Explaining how Twitter Works 500 Tweetable quotes – Twitter Ready 117 Character Buy Twitter Followers – Good / Bad?