Throwaway Society – Earth’s increasing population and human’s consumerism are no longer inevitable and there is no any sign of slowing them down in the near future. Man’s behavior of throwing everything away and filing up dumpsites create a throwaway society and this type of community rouse an unsustainable global affecting the planet.
What is a throwaway society?
Throwaway society refers to our current society, which is strongly influenced by wide consumerism. This society is characterized by human’s dependence and over-consumption and extreme manufacturing of or disposable items.
Examples of throwaway items
Disposable or short-lived items we usually use or consume that pile up in this throwaway society include but not limited to:
- Disposable cameras
- Seasonal boots and Raincoats
- Synthetic leathers goods
- Non-biodegradable plastic bags
- Plastic water/soda bottles
- Microwavable containers
- Non-recyclable containers/covers
- Aerosol-based products
- Styrofoam container
There is an endless list but the ones mentioned above are just among the common items you find at home which you might not aware of disposing them regularly.
Killing our own planet
How does throwaway society make living unsustainable and eventually killing our planet? Well, when these manufacturers produce unrecyclable products like plastic bottles and Styrofoam containers, they extract and cut down natural resources and fossil fuels which take thousands or millions of years to replenish. Unfortunately, these products that were made from millions of years’ resources will be used in a very short period of time. Once you drink from that plastic cup, you consumed millions of natural resources, only to be thrown away after. These garbage and unrecyclable materials are piled in dump sites, clogged in waterways, polluting the water we drink and the air we breathe. It destroys our ecosystem, kills every living thing in it and as a result, affects food chain and human food supplies.
What can you do?
As a consumer, there are couples of important, small but significant ways that you can do to stop our world becoming a throwaway society. These include:
- Reduce waste as much as possible.
- Buying durable goods and recyclable materials as much as possible.
- Don’t give in to fad and style-driven items.
- Learn backyard gardening. Small crops can be grown in your own backyards like tomatoes, lettuce, herbs and other foods that you usually get from grocery stores.
- Downsize living. Turn off lights whenever not needed. Save fuel and don’t waste food.
- Save energy by using public transportation and carpooling with family and friends whenever possible.
- Don’t rely too much on consumerism.
- Do not throw away garbage in waterways.
- Refrain from using plastic cups, bottles, covers and containers.
Inform other people about throwaway society
The act of making a difference should not stop in you. You are responsible in disseminating information and making people understand the importance of taking care of our own planet. Do not be a part of throwaway society. Do not be an agent of an unsustainable and unlivable planet. Remember, we only got one planet to live in; we better take care of it before it’s too late for us and the next generation.